Today, historic Germantown is an 18 square block area that is bounded by Jefferson Street on South, Hume Street on the North, Rosa Parks Boulevard on the West, and 2nd Avenue North on the East.
Germantown’s roots can be traced back to 1786, when James McGavock and his son David, originally from Virginia, purchased 2,240 acres of land situated on both sides of the Cumberland River. The land was later subdivided, developed, and became Nashville’s first residential subdivision.
The area was incorporated in the Nashville City Limits in 1865. At this time, a significant number of German immigrants were contributing to the booming population of residents that lived in some of the largest houses in the area, catalyzing the neighborhood’s economic growth.
Germantown, Nashville’s 9th Ward, has had a number individuals who had established themselves there and became people of great wealth and power. Residents of note include E.B Stahlman (publisher of The Nashville Banner) and George Dickel (distiller) and many others.
This district was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and contains a wide range of architecture from buildings that were constructed between 1830 and today, which contribute to the neighborhood’s distinct charm. At that time, many of Germantown’s structures were condemned and at risk of demolition due to their being unkempt.
However, thanks to the efforts of the neighborhood’s residents and the more recent arrival of the Nashville Sounds’ new stadium, Germantown was preserved and has become one of the most diverse and in-demand neighborhoods in Nashville.